Search This Blog

Thursday, 6 August 2026

How do you evaluate greatness?

John Surtees

                                                                                Joey Dunlop

To show my point, I shall compare the careers of two motorcycle riders, and let you decide.
First, we need to compare where did they race? John Surtees raced across the world. Joey Dunlop raced mainly in Ireland, his two GP results put him no higher than 6th.
Next, who did they race against? John raced against the class of Geoff Duke, Phil Read, and Mike Hailwood to name a few. Names that any race fan can recognise as the great riders.
Joey raced mainly against his brothers, they may push him, but are not likely to deny him a win, he also rode against Michael Rutter, another thing to consider is not many riders competed in Ireland.
Many modern fans say Joey is the greatest of his time, this is laughable, and displays their lack of knowledge of motorcycle racing, not only in the UK, but the world. Without the use of Google, I can name several UK riders who I consider better than Joey.
My decision is made, I will leave you to make yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment