Country Music
Loretta Lynn
YouTube
These videos demonstrate what I like, and dislike about modern Country Music.
In the top one, Carrie Underwood sings well, but she dressed like Barbie. In the bottom, what can I say about The Judds, they hardly samg, mama looks like a chipmunk, and Wynonna's tan is so bad it reminds me of Ross in a Friends episode.
I never liked Dolly Parton, not for how she portrayed herself, in the 60's it was hard for a lady to be seen as other than a back-up singer, unless you listen to the Carter family. Dolly had to become what she did, to get away from being seen as Porter Waggoner's bavk-up, I admire her for breaking free. The major female singers were Kitty Wells, and Patsy Cline at that time. Two of my least favourite recordings are Crazy, sung by Patsy Cline, and Jolene by DP.
Dolly had the same issue as Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland, and many singers, when they stretch for high notes, their accent grates.
There is a wondeful crossover series called CMT, where artists from various styles join in songs, my favourite combo is Martina McBride, and Pat Benatar, what a combo!!!!!! Two attractive ladies, and two wonderful voices.
No comments:
Post a Comment